Nový Jičín - City Tour
Similarly to the pilgrims, who passed through the lower gate to get behind the city wall, we begin our tour at street Dolní brána (Lower Gate). It immediately neighbours with railway station and bus terminal anyway, as well as with one of the city car parks. We walk down along the Štefánikova street, passing by the splendid building of Komerční banka to Havlíčkova street. On the left-hand side, a building of former Jewish synagogue attracts our attention. It was built up in a historical style between 1907 and 1908. In 1938 it was plundered by fascists. Its later restoration did not sustain its original decorative character. At these days, it serves as a workplace for the district archive in Nový Jičín.
On the left-hand side, we pass by a functional building of cinema Květen from 1930. If we turn right we get to city’s market, neighbouring with another city car parks in the city centre. Remains of city’s stony wall and manor jail can be found here.
Walking on the original direction, we enter to Masaryk square via one of four streets. At a glance a picturesque archway is fascinating. Its construction began just after devastating fire in 1503, which destroyed two original buildings. Renaissance and baroque buildings, which grew up at their place in the 2nd half of 16th century, were destroyed by other big fires in 18th century. Their subsequent reconstruction had been affected by classicism and historicism.
Plague pillar in the middle of the square was erected in 1710 in memory of Black Death from 1680. The city suffered from plague in 1680. In the square, where dead bodies piled up, Mr and Mrs Štircnikovi had, allegedly on call of heaven, erected plague pillar with statues of Mary and the saints.
The fountain located in the middle of the square is decorated with a sculptural group of dancing peasants in Kravaře’s folk costumes, a craftwork by professor Barwig from 1929.
Let’s take note of the house signs at faces of the bourgeois buildings - the angel at building where pharmacy U Bílého Anděla (White Angel’s) is today, the stag at the building of Restaurant U Jelena (Stag’s) is today...
One of the most significant houses in the square is the town hall, distinguished with clock tower and gallery. It was rebuild into today’s new-renaissance look in 1930. It is place of the City Administration of Nový Jičín.
At the face of the corner house, located to the left of the town hall, let’s pay attention to a tablet which remembers us that famous general Laudon died in this house in 1790
Don’t forget to stop at the taproom house, now place of insurance company Česká Pojišťovna, where you can see a timber painting on the first floor, dated from 1733. About this house’s endowed right to brew up and tap the beer, it is mentioned in the first record from 1592.
One of the most fabulous buildings in the square is new-renaissance Old Post Office from 1563 characterised by two arcades. Between 1787 and 1852, hereditary post office was located here. Among its visitors were, beside the others, Russian czar Alexander in 1813 and famous general Suvorov, having a rest here after his campaign to the North Italy and the legendary crossing of Swiss Alps in 1800. On the ground floor, you can watch works of local artists in Arkáda gallery. In the next part of the house, you can find exhibition and performance halls of city’ cultural centre.
Walking down the narrow street K Šatlavě we get to Parish Temple of Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The church is, except of the castle’s spires, the main dominant feature of the city. Its tower, 66m tall, is visible from all the peripheral parts of the city. It was built at place of the original Gothic-styled church by the Jesuits between 1729 and 1732. The church tower was erected between 1587 and 1629, and according to proposal of local architect Ignác Kloss, the dome was modified in 1854 to todays shape. Of the interior, hand-carved wooden benches and the confessional dated from the beginning of 18th century will attract your attention in the first place, as well as the altar pieces by E.F. Herbert. The main communion-table together with the pulpit, originate from Olomouc’s sculptor Jan Kammereit.
Walking on down the Žerotínova street, we pass by ruins of the city walls on the right-hand side as well as restored City Bastion, dated from 1613. The Starojical historic community has installed an exposition of historic armour and weapons here; the other places are used for cultural performance activities.
Walking up the K Nemocnici Street, passing by post office on the left side, we come to Janáčkovy Gardens to the church of Holy Trinity. This originally Gothic building, also formerly called "moravský kostelík" (Moravian little church), dates back to 1500, and of which tower was additionally erected in 1657. An interesting baroque decoration can be fund inside, dated back to turn of 17th and 18th century.
Smetana’s Gardens are the green oasis of the city which was created in 1915 at the place of the city cemetery. At their middle, there is a well-preserved music pavilion dated back to 1927. Near to entrance to the summer cinema, a granite sculptural group symbolizes the heredity rule. The monument’s centre is a bust of Johan Gregor Mendel, native of nearby Hynčice. Author of the monument from 1931, commemorating world-famous founder of genetics, is sculptor Josef Obeth. On the opposite side of the park, there is a bust of music composer Bedřich Smetana, from 1962.
To an excursional place called Skalky (Rockeries) there is a pedestrian pathway, going along the road and lined by trees. It is a picturesque place with beautiful lookouts over the nearby landscape suitable for resting and refreshment.
Let’s top in Smetana’s Gardens to see the Spanish Chapel. After the bloodshed battle in 1621, some 500 Spanish soldiers remained lying in front of the city gate. People of the city buried them into a common grave and later on, in 1724-1727, a stone pilgrimage chapel was erected at that place. During the years 1863-1864 a tower was additionally built and today interior was also added. The chapel charms its visitors during yuletide with its mechanical Bethlehem. From this point, there is also outstanding view in the western direction where ruins outline of knight’s castle Starý Jičín loom high over the horizon.
We go on down the Jiráskova Street. Building of high school can be spotted at its lower end. If we turn left at crossing with Divadelní Street we arrive at sport centre.
Football stadium, volleyball hall, playground, tennis courts and ice stadium offer here plenty of sporting opportunities.
If we turn right we get to the main entrance of Beskydské theatre. The original new-renaissance building dates back to 1866, when it served as Germen community house for cultural and social performance activities. Since 1944 a theatre performances have been played here. Thanks to costly reconstruction of building itself, and building equipment in 1984 - 1992 the city gained a beautiful theatre where actors and artists from around all the country come to.
The last stop is Žerotínský castle, of which two spires attract attention of each visitor to our city. Formerly wooden fortress from end of 14th century has been rebuilt many times. The last significant adaptation of its construction took place during the reign of Bedřich from Žerotín and his wife Libuše from Lomnice in the middle of 16th century. After departure of family Žerotíniů in 1558 the castle served only for managing purposes. At these days, Museum of Novojičínsko is placed here, having permanent exhibition of city history.
Our city tour is ending here.
We believe, you liked it in our city and will like to come back to our city Nový Jičín
Type: Tourist path
součást prezentačního a rezervačního systému Doménová koule ®